ZEHLENDORF lies to the south-west of Berlin, and was part of
West Berlin. It is home to the Free University, founded by academics
unprepared to work at the East Berlin Humboldt University after
the city was divided. It also housed, during the Cold War, a large
residential area for American troops.
It abutts the Grunewald, a forest dotted with villas and lakes,
like Krumme Lanke and Grunewaldsee with its hunting lodge.
Further south-east is the Wannsee with the longest stretch of
inland beach in Europe. A favourite summer excursion for Berliners
who want to swim or go boating. From here countless ferry rides
can be taken around the Berlin canal, lake and river network.
Wannsee was, of course, the site of the infamous Wannsee Conference
at which the Nazi High Command finally settled 'The Jewish Question'
with the decision to exterminate the remaining Jewish population
of Nazi-occupied Europe.
Across the Wannsee, and reachable by a short ferry hop, is the
Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island), built as a pleasure garden by Friedrich
Wilhelm 11. A folly dominates the southern end of the island.
Two further palaces are of interest - the Park and Palace of
Kleinglienicke, with its Lion Fountain and mock Corinthian Temple,
and the Glienicke Hunting Lodge, built in French Baroque style.
South lies the Glienicke Bridge, famous for the spy swaps that
took place in the Cold War period.
On the northern edge of Zehlendorf can be found the Brückemuseum
displaying expressionist works by Kokoschka and the Blauer Ritter
group of artists. It is a pleasant green residential suburb, and
houses an enormous museum complex in the area to the north known
The Gemäldegalerie (Picture Gallery) covers early medieval to
18th century art, with particular emphasis on the Flemish painters.
The Ethnographic section of the complex has some of the most
memorable displays, with artifacts ranging from tools, through
to boats and houses from cultures as disparate as the South Sea
Islands, Asia, India and Islamic countries.
The German Ethnological Museum displays the furniture, costumes
and artifacts of Brandenburg and other regions.
Domain Dahlem is a farm and craft centre that attempts to recapture
the rural way of life in the 19th century. You can watch demonstrations
of spinning, weaving and carving.
The village church of St Annen (1220) is located at 55 Königin-Luise-Strasse
and has a beautiful carved wooden altar.
In STEGLITZ, to the east, the Botanical Gardens is a must. Here
18,000 species are displayed in hothouses and variously themed
garden areas (the Italian garden, the 'Blind' garden which has
scented plants). There is also a botanical museum onsite. Schloss-Strasse,
running northwards, is the main shopping street, the Forum Centre
offers a particularly wide range of goods. The Schloss (Palace)
in question is the imposing Schloss Steglitz, built in 1804. Close
by is the Schlosspark theatre and Steglitz Town Hall.
Steglitz is served by S-Bahn and the U6.
© 2002-2003 Berlin Travel Service - A1 Design All rights reserved.