Although the village of REINICKENDORF was first mentioned in
1375, it only gained independent status in 1852, and in 1920 was
incorporated into Greater Berlin. The suburb marks the further
northwards march of the Berlin suburbs in the later stages of
the Industrial Revolution. The great engineer Borsig relocated
his ironworks here from Mitte (Chausseestrasse) at the end of
the 19th century, and lived himself in the suburb in a neo-baroque
Here Berlin's first tower block (20 storeys) was erected in 1924,
and, in the late sixties, the vast Märkisches Viertel complex,
housing 50,000 people. More elegant examples of modern architecture
are to be found along the shore of the Tegel Lake in the housing
development designed by the Californian architect Charles Moore.
During the Berlin Airlift when the Soviet Government of East
Berlin deprived the Western half of the city of fuel and food
supplies, which had to be flown in by American planes from Frankfurt,
Berlin's biggest Airport was built - Tegel. The village Tegel
also gives its name to Schloss Tegel on the Tegeler See, through
which the Havel river flows. A masterpiece by the architect Schinkel,
the building was owned from 1765 by the Humboldt family, which
produced the gifted brothers Alexander and Wilhelm (who gave their
name, in turn, to the Berlin University). The marble statues and
fountain, an extensive library, the Blue Salon and the landscaped
gardens stretching down to the lake with its seven small islands
make the stately home a must.
The village churches of Alt-Wittenau and Alt-Reinickendorf are
oases of calm in an otherwise busy suburb, both surrounded by
traces of older housing typical of Brandenburg village life in
the 19th century.
Reinickendorf is served by the U6, U8 and the S-Bahn.
© 2002-2003 Berlin Travel Service - A1 Design All rights reserved.